Wednesday, January 9, 2008

No Moon Please Tonight !

On Ganesh Chaturthi it is prohibited to look at the moon. As per legend once Moon made fun of Lord Ganesha when he fell down on the ground. Lord Ganesha was so annoyed that he cursed him that no one should look at the moon on the Ganesh Chaturthi day. If anyone does, he will surely earn a bad name and will be falsely accused. If someone sees the moon on this night, he/she may remedy the situation by listening to (or reciting) the story of the syamantaka jewel(Mani) found in the Puranas which was as follows.
King Satrajit, who secured a jewel syamantaka from Surya, did not part with it even when Krishna the Lord of Dwaraka, asked for it saying it would be safe with him. Prasena, the brother of Satrajit went out hunting wearing the jewel but was killed by a lion. Later in forest Jambavant (another character of the Ramayana) killed the lion and gave it to his son to play with. When Prasena did not return, Satrajit falsely accused Krishna of killing Prasena for the sake of the jewel. Krishna, in order to remove the stain on his reputation, set out in search of the jewel and found it in Jambavant's cave, with his child. Jambavant attacked Krishna thinking him to be an intruder who had come to take away the jewel. They fought each other for 28 days. Later Jambavant recognized Him as Lord Rama. As a repentance for his having fought Krishna, Jambavant gave Krishna the jewel and also his daughter Jambavati in marriage. Krishna returned to Dwaraka with Jambavati and the jewel, and returned it to Satrajit, who in turn repented for his false accusation. He promptly offered to give Krishna the jewel and his daughter Satyabhama in marriage. Krishna accepted Satyabhama as his wife but did not accept the jewel. The one who read this story will be librated from the charge of false acusation

2 comments:

Vibhor said...

I had an training in Mumbai which was starting from Monday (8th August), so thought of landing in Mumbai on Saturday & thereupon going to Shirdi for Sai Baba Darshan , further to Shri Shani dev darshan at Shani Shingnapur.

On Saturday while offering my morning prayers, it occurred to me that I should go to Triambakeshwar Jyotlirlingam darshan. I have previously also gone to Triambakeshwar temple but due to odd timings was not able to enter the sanctum sanctorum. The time was short to plan as I had a flight to catch at 5.00 p.m moreover I didn’t have any contact no. of any person in Triambakeshwar to help me out.

Suddenly it stuck my mind of the article written by Sumit ji & immediately I found out the no’s of the pandit ji Shri Padmakar B Pingale there in Triambakeshwar, to who I contacted & took all the details regarding time & ritual of abhishekam & entering into sanctum sanctorum.

I also called some of my colleges in Bombay to book a taxi for me to go to three place - Triambakeshwar temple, Shirdi & Shani Shingnapur.

My darshan to Triambakeshwar temple could not have been possible without the help of Sumit Ji blog.

Thank you sir for writing such a beautiful blog with all the relevant details & contact person with the help of which I was able to complete the journey.

sumit bajaj said...

Thanks Vibhorji!!! Perhaps you are talking about my otherblog from where you might picked the info..my sincere thanks for appreciating..my blog id about Nashik is
http://nashikyatra.blogspot.com/