Friday, October 12, 2007

The Myth of Peepal tree

It is often seen that most astrologer recommend worship of peepal tree as a remedy to mitigate the ill effect of dasha of Saturn. If a girl's horoscope predicts widowhood, she is first married to a peepal tree on chaitra krishna or ashwin krishna tritiya. Peepal tree is a symbol of Lord Vishnu, the preserver god. There is a mythological story behind it. Once, all the gods decided to visit Lord Shiva. However, sage Narad informed them that it was an inappropriate time for a visit. But Indra did not heed the advice and assured the gods that there was nothing to fear when he was there to protect them. Narad reported Indra's arrogance to goddess Parvati. She cursed the gods that they, along with their wives, would turn into trees. When the gods asked for forgiveness, she promised that as trees, they would attain fame. Thus Lord Indra turned into a mango tree, Lord Brahma became a palash tree and Lord Vishnu turned into a peepal tree. Also Goddess Laxmi is believed to have reside the Peepal tree on Saturdays. Lord Krishna is believed to have died under the Peepal tree. In classics the cutting of Peepal tree is consider as sin. Peepal tree is also believed to be the abode of lord yama (god of death) and ancestors. Offerings made at its roots are believed to reach them. Another myth is regarding link between peepal and the Saturday. According to classics Ashvattha and Peepala were two demons who harassed people. Ashvattha would take the form of a peepal and Peepala the form of a Brahmin. The fake Brahmin would advise people to touch the tree, and as soon as they did, Ashvattha would kill them. Later they were both killed by Shani. Because of his influence, it is considered safe to touch the tree on Saturdays. It is believe that one who plant this tree get librated from the bond of life and death

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there! This post could not be written much better!

Looking through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
He constantly kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him.
Pretty sure he's going to have a very good read.
Many thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Excellent goods from you, man. I have remember your stuff
previous to and you're just too wonderful. I actually like
what you've got here, really like what you're saying
and the best way through which you are saying it.
You're making it enjoyable and you still take
care of to keep it wise. I can't wait to read much more from you.

That is actually a terrific site.

Anonymous said...

Useful information. Fortunate me I found your web site accidentally, and I'm stunned why this coincidence didn't took place earlier!
I bookmarked it.

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting, You are a very professional blogger.
I have joined your feed and sit up for searching for more of your great post.
Also, I have shared your site in my social networks

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm at work browsing your blog from my new apple iphone!

Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward
to all your posts! Carry on the excellent work!

Anonymous said...

I all the time used to study paragraph in news papers but now as I am a user of web therefore from now I am using
net for articles, thanks to web.

Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe this web site needs much more attention. I'll probably be back again to read more, thanks for
the information!

Anonymous said...

I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the blogger lovers except this paragraph
is actually a good article, keep it up.

Anonymous said...

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet people, its really really good paragraph on building up new blog.

Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and
I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot.
I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided me.

Anonymous said...

Hello just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
The text in your content seem to be running off the
screen in Opera. I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to
do with web browser compatibility but I thought I'd
post to let you know. The style and design look
great though! Hope you get the problem solved soon. Kudos

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Would you mind if I share your
blog with my twitter group? There's a lot of folks that I
think would really appreciate your content. Please let me know.

Many thanks

Anonymous said...

Valuable information. Lucky me I found your web site
unintentionally, and I am shocked why this coincidence didn't took place earlier!

I bookmarked it.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I've been following your web site for some time now and finally
got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Texas!
Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

Simply desire to say your article is as astounding.
The clearness to your submit is simply nice and that i can suppose you are an expert in this subject.
Well with your permission allow me to clutch your RSS feed to stay updated
with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry
on the enjoyable work.